Welcome to Episode 116
- Cgroups with Unclemarc!
- Paul Menage and Rohit Seth
- Solaris implemented zones in 2004, which featured resource groups, providing cgroup-like functionality
- Kernel version 2.6.24
- Re-design for v2 begin in 2013
- Disk (I/O)
- What problem are we trying to solve?
- Started at Google in 2006, originally named “process containers”
- Renamed to “control groups” and Introduced into kernel in 2007
- First appeared in RHEL 6 but none of the tooling was enabled by default
- Critical component of systemd, so they’ve been active on RHEL since RHEL 7
- RHEL 8 is the first Red Hat OS to support cgroups v2
- Most useful controllers (supported via systemd)
- My blogs – https://www.redhat.com/en/authors/marc-richter
- RHEL 8 docs – https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/managing_monitoring_and_updating_the_kernel/setting-limits-for-applications_managing-monitoring-and-updating-the-kernel
- Kernel docs
- Comics! https://wizardzines.com/comics/cgroups/
- Covers namespaces and cgroups (moreso namespaces)
Watch us live on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month! Subscribe and hit the bell! https://www.youtube.com/IronSysadminPodcast
Discord Community: https://discord.gg/wmxvQ4c2H6
Find us on Twitter, and Facebook!
Subscribe wherever you find podcasts!
And don’t forget about our patreon! https://patreon.com/ironsysadmin
Intro and Outro music credit: Tri Tachyon, Digital MK 2