Welcome to Episode 121
- How do I get a hold of expensive software, for the purposes of learning?
- Check with your school, a LOT of vendors have super-cheap solutions for education. Your school may be able to provide you a learning license/sub for software you are interested in
- Less than Legal alternatives
- Red hat enterprise linux
- Red Hat Developer Sub
- Centos literally feeds RHEL, Centos stream is an extremely similar platform.
- Fedora feeds Centos,
- Ubuntu Server is free, but you can buy support from Canonical
- Windows Server
- Try it on azure’s free tier
- Windows server will run for some time without activation
- Talk to a partner about a trial
- Red Hat Openshift
- Trial, ask your account rep
- OKD is the upstream for Openshift
- OpenShift Online has a free tier
- First, are you a student?
- What if i Just CANNOT find a demo?
- Operating Systems
- VM/Container platforms
- Vmware vsphere
- Vmware has a surprising number of public trials/demos, and even labs, here:
- Or just stand-alone esxi?
- Industry Software
- Included with most RHEL subs, but not the dev sub.
- Trials are available.
- The Katello project is the open source upstream
- Oracle DB
- Their site seems to steer you toward an account rep, or their cloud.
- I believe that oracle will operate without a license, but I do not know that they have an official trial
- Red Hat Satellite
- SaaS and Cloud
- AWS Free Tier
- Also, amazon linux is pretty similar to RHEL…
- Google compute
- You get a $300 credit to get hooked.
- Effectively a 30 day trial, you get $200 to use for 30 days
- Digital ocean
- Currently a 60 day/$100 trial
- $100 trial credit
- Rotating list of promotions: https://www.linode.com/promotions/
- Free for all, as far as I know
- Enterprise: (includes a free trial link)
Watch us live on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month! Subscribe and hit the bell! https://www.youtube.com/IronSysadminPodcast
Discord Community: https://discord.gg/wmxvQ4c2H6
Find us on Twitter, and Facebook!
Subscribe wherever you find podcasts!
And don’t forget about our patreon! https://patreon.com/ironsysadmin
Intro and Outro music credit: Tri Tachyon, Digital MK 2