Welcome to Episode 128
- Blog by David Heinemeier Hansson https://world.hey.com/dhh/why-we-re-leaving-the-cloud-654b47e0
- He’s a Danish programmer, and the Creator of Ruby on Rails
- He is also co-founder of both Basecamp and HEY
- And, an Author
- Basecamp has been at least partially in the cloud for a long time
- HEY was started in the cloud.
- Various platforms and technologies
- Bare vms
- “Renting computers is (mostly) a bad deal for medium-sized companies like ours with stable growth.”
- Two ends of the scale:
- Low-end, when your application is simple, low workloads, you benefit from the simplicity of managed services
- Irregular “bursty” end, where you have a certain sustained workload, but it has a tendency to burst, and then settle.
- Middle of the scale:
- Workloads that have consistent traffic, and stable growth
- Cost vs Complexity
- A lot of server hardware could be bought for half a million a year
- Argument being, managing those servers.
- Half a million spend for HEY per year.
- But how true is that, really?
- And then there’s centralization…
- Who is David Heinemeier Hansson https://dhh.dk/?
- So what about this post.
Watch us live on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month! Subscribe and hit the bell! https://www.youtube.com/IronSysadminPodcast
Discord Community: https://discord.gg/wmxvQ4c2H6
Matrix Space: https://matrix.to/#/#IronSysadmin:trixie.undrground.org
Find us on Twitter, and Facebook!
Subscribe wherever you find podcasts!
And don’t forget about our patreon! https://patreon.com/ironsysadmin
Intro and Outro music credit: Tri Tachyon, Digital MK 2