Welcome to Episode 82
- Many responses say they hate FB, but feel like they have no choice but to participate
- Peter from Twitter:
- I removed Fb from my phone after the privacy scandals and removed any personal information that was not required – I much prefer Instagram (Facebook-lite if you will) because sharing pictures was a nice component that I valued and is typically positive in content and comment.
- The biggest reason I dropped it aside the negativity was the time suck and distraction Facebook transforms any standard handheld device – I still use Facebook, but far more deliberately and perhaps once a week or less and I rarely comment or post now
- Linuxsys666 from twitter
- Deactivated about 6 months ago, haven’t missed it (SNR was quite low by then). I just use telegram and twitter occasionally now. Also these pocket computers have a telephone in them so I’ve gone back to using that feature
- Will from Twitter
- Left in the last year. Switched mostly to Twitter or just nothing at all.
- How’s life without it? Do you feel like you’re missing out? And do you care?
- Don’t care, don’t feel like I’m missing anything. Id say better without it. Most of what was left was political or irrelevant to my life which drove me away.
- Rob from Twitter
- I left Fb about 6 years ago . Was hard at first had to delete all apps . But live it now . It’s a great freedom
- Trends from RH Conversation
- I left FB because i got tired of the BS
- Mental health
- One response says they actually track their mental wellbeing, and the app theyre using to do so actually shows an improvement. I have questions… moodscope.com
- Lots of talk about echo chamber and social bubbles
- Some believe that the platform is designed to show you the worst, so you keep checking back in to see if things have gotten better?
- A lot of folks cited privacy as the reason they’re no longer on fb
- Some said it’s a losing battle, it doesn’t matter if you attempt to protect your privacy, its already lost
- From all sources, i’ve heard only a few alternatives
- Other social platforms, like insta, twitter, and some who actually liked g+
- A move to chat platforms like discord, whatsapp
- Patreon Update
- Captain SOG
- DeMentor PowerShellOnLinux.com
- Ruslan from Twitter
- Thanks for great episode, guys! Especially for that post where f… Google blaming C & C++. Yep, those “engineers” are stupid! Hope in future you’ll discuss software development topics more. 😉
- Nate’s training RHCE
- Jason bought a 3d printer
- The “Clayton Oosterhouse Story”: https://youtu.be/DefoMBmI3ic?t=3830
Watch us live on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month! Subscribe and hit the bell! https://www.youtube.com/IronSysadminPodcast
Slack workspace https://www.ironsysadmin.com/slack
Find us on Twitter, and Facebook!
Subscribe wherever you find podcasts!
And don’t forget about our patreon! https://patreon.com/ironsysadmin
Intro and Outro music credit: Tri Tachyon, Digital MK 2